Fitting of Mouth Guards
In contact sports like football, saucer, basketball mouth guard is essential equipment. It is a custom-fitting of rubber against your teeth and is very comfortable and safe to be worn. The process of wearing a mouth guard takes seconds.
Steps to Fit a Mouth Guard
Fill a bowl with ice water and a glass with normal water.
- Gather the essential materials like scissors, glass of room temperature water, boiling water of the correct temperature, bowl of ice water, mirror, a watch to display seconds, towel and the mouth guard.
- Attach the strap to the mouth guard.
- You might have to trim the mouth guard to make sure it does not irritate the back of your mouth. Some mouth guards fit only the premolars without disturbing the back of the mouth.
- Cut the strap of the mouth guard and merge it in boiling water (180 degrees) to soften it for 40 to 50 seconds.
- Then remove it from boiling water and place it in normal water for not more than 1 to 2 seconds.
- Then blot the mouth guard with a towel and quickly place it in your mouth in the upper teeth.
- Push the mouth guard to the centre of the upper teeth and use your tongue to tighten it.
- Close your mouth while biting firmly. Using fingers push it tight against your teeth and gums and wait for 40 seconds.
- Then remove and place the mouth guard in the ice water for 5 minutes. Securely fit it by putting it again in the mouth.
- Repeat the above steps if required.
- Do not chew the mouth guard or use with braces.
Talk to your dentist if you are worried about your braces or your mouth guard gives trouble.