Dental crown is the tooth shaped cap to be placed over the tooth for restoring the tooths shape, size and strength, to cover a tooth and improve the appearance. After properly cementing in place, the crowns enclose the visible portion of a tooth lying above or at gum line.
Application of a Dental Crown
The usage of dental crown is becoming very popular day by day. Dental crown is placed in the following situations:
- To make a cosmetic modification.
- It is used for covering a dental implant.
- It covers severely discolored or misshapen tooth.
- It holds a dental bridge in place.
- It is used to cover and support a tooth with large filling where there is not much tooth left to hold the fillings.
- To restore a severely worn out tooth or a tooth that has broken.
- Protects weak tooth from breaking and holds together the parts of a cracked tooth.
- For children it might be used to save a tooth that has been damaged to the extent that it cannot support a filling.
A crown is either made of stainless steel, all metal, porcelain fused to metal, all ceramic or all resin.